UWC Romania National Committee
UWC depends on the dedication and expertise of a network of +3,000 volunteers to find and select students in more than 155 countries worldwide. The volunteer-run National Committee system is possibly unique in the world.
The UWC National Committees operate in vastly different contexts and circumstances and are uniquely situated to seek out the most promising and diverse students in each country, making them one of the standout features of the UWC movement. Students enter all of the UWC colleges through their National Committees, who select students based on their suitability, potential and merit, publicise UWC, raise scholarship funds, support the students before, during and after their time at a college and organise network events for UWC alumni.
All National Committees are overseen by the UWC International Organisation, and its secretariat based at the International Office in London.
- Selecting the best possible Romanian students for UWC
- Raising the profile of the UWC movement in Romania
- Providing support for current students selected by the committee and their parents in order to maximise their UWC experience
- Support Romanian UWC alumni
The UWC Romanian National Committee was founded in 1997 by Ciprian Antonescu, UWC Adriatic alumni and Chair of The Board (1997 - 2018) and Radu Suciu, from the Italian Cultural Institute of Bucharest. It is entirely volunteer-run and, for the past 20 years, it has selected 98 Romanian students for the UWC scholarships to 13 different UWC Colleges & 7 UWC Short Courses.
The UWC Romanian National Committee functions according to the rules, regulations and values of the UWC International Organisation. The Committee's activities are led by a Board, based on a Founding Act and Code of Conduct, and each member signs a contract that includes a confidentiality & conflict of interest clause.
The Committee submits an Annual Report to UWC International.
The UWC Romania National Committee currently includes 8 members:
- 5 Romanian UWC graduates (from UWC Adriatic, UWC Hong Kong, UWC Red Cross Nordic)
- 3 members from outside the UWC network
All members are volunteers and are not paid for the work they do for the Committee.
What we, members of the UWC Romania National Committee have in common:
- we have a global perspective
- we encourage diversity in all it's forms
- we believe in responsibility and integrity
- we respect people & ideas
- we believe in compassion and doing good
- we respect and protect the environment
- we all have a relatively high dose of idealism
- we welcome challenges
- we lead by example