The Selection Process
The application and selection process for the UWC Scholarships is organised every year by the UWC Romanian National Committee, according to:
- the UWC General Selection Criteria
- the Eligibility Criteria for Romania
- any other requirements set by the UWC College offering a full/ partial scholarship to Romanian students
- the Application Form submitted by the Romanian applicants
All applications for the UWC Scholarships will go through the following selection process:
1. Application via an online or written form sent by post - the Application Form has a standard format and is provided by the UWC Romanian National Committee.
2. Pre-selection of the applications according to the eligibility criteria, organised by the UWC Romanian National Committee (UWC RO NC):
- UWC RO NC receives applications;
- UWC RO NC notifies, via email, all the applicants that their application has been received and will enter the pre-selection process;
- Any application sent after the deadline, or that does not meet the mandatory eligibility criteria, or is incomplete will be disqualified, with no further review;
- A Jury appointed by UWC Romania National Committee reviews all eligible applications. The Jury includes at least 5 members;
- The Jury reviews applications and selects the candidates who will participate in the second selection phase - the interviews;
- All candidates - including those who have not been selected for the interviews - shall be notified via email about the results of the national pre-selection process.
- The Jury decision is final and cannot be contested by the applicants.
3. The interviews
- Successful candidates will be invited for an interview with the members of the Jury, in Bucharest.
- Exceptionally, if the candidate currently lives/ studies in another country and cannot make the trip to Bucharest, the interview will take place via Skype or other online video platform.
- The interviews are one-to-one and they usually last between 15-20 minutes. The discussion takes place in both Romanian and English.
- After the individual interviews, usually after a one- hour lunch break, a group exercise shall follow - the Jury decides if all or only selected candidates are invited to participate to the group interview
4. Nominations for the scholarships
- Within no more than 5 days from the interviews and based on the Jury decision, the UWC Romania National Committee nominates the successful candidates for the scholarships.
- Nominations are final and cannot be contested by non-successful applicants.
- Each nominated student and his parents/ legal guardians will be asked to formally accept the nomination, including all financial costs that incur - the UWC Romanian National Committee will make sure that nominated candidates and their families clearly understand all the costs related to accepting a UWC scholarship (tuition fees, accommodation, travel, pocket money, etc.).
- After the candidates' formal acceptance of the nomination, the UWC Romanian National Committee will send the nomination forms to each individual UWC College offering a UWC scholarship to Romanian students.
4. Final acceptance
- The final decision regarding granting a scholarships lies with the UWC College offering a scholarship, based on the nomination form placed by the UWC Romanian National Committee.
- During this stage of the evaluation, the UWC College may contact the nominated candidate and his family for further information/ clarifications, documents.
- The UWC College will formally communicate to the nominated candidate if they have been offered a full/ partial scholarship.
The Romanian UWC Romanian National Committee always assists nominated candidates and their families during the final acceptance stage of the selection process.